- It came from the Latin word "litera" which means letters.
- Is a term used to describe written or spoken material. Broadly speaking, "literature" is used to describe anything from creative writing to more technical or scientific works, but the term is most commonly used to refer to works of the creative imagination, including works of poetry, drama, fiction, and nonfiction.
- It represents a language or a people: culture and tradition. But, literature is more important than just a historical or cultural artifact. Literature introduces us to new worlds of experience. We learn about books and literature; we enjoy the comedies and the tragedies of poems, stories, and plays; and we may even grow and evolve through our literary journey with books.
- It deals with ideas, thoughts and emotions of a man – thus it can be said that literature is the story of man.
- It is the best way to understand human nature fully and to know a nation completely. It is one of the seven arts ( i.e music, dance, sculpture, painting, theater, and architecture) is a product of creative work, the result of which is form and beauty.